Friday, January 21, 2011

The Protest: Step 1

I successfully put up posters all over my school and organized a civil disobedience meeting. About twenty people showed up interested in helping fight against Wal-Mart’s crimes. This was a very pleasant surprise; I didn’t know so many people cared about this topic. During the meeting I told my peers some disturbing facts about Wal-Mart. The facts included that Wal-Mart’s CEO Michael Duke, receives an hourly salary equal to the annual salary of an average Wal-Mart employee. Also that furniture sold at Wal-Mart has been made from wood that was illegally logged in protected Russian habitats for Siberian Tigers. One other fact that I said was that in 2006, a law was passed that required all corporations with more than 10,000 employees in the state to spend at least 8% of their payroll on employee benefits. Wal-Mart was the only know corporation to not meet this requirement before it was passed. These three facts and many others shocked the crowd that I had gathered. They all were convinced and most of them decided to get their parents to join the cause. I also got my whole family to join, all of them never agreed with what Wal-Mart was doing. The first part of my so called plan was complete and we were ready for step two.

No comments:

Post a Comment