Saturday, January 22, 2011

Results

The protest lasted for around two work days. In that time period, not one person entered Wal-Mart. Instead, about 70% of anyone who came near Wal-Mart’s parking lot joined us. During the last stretch of our protest, a representative of Wal-Mart came out and made a deal. He gave all the employees at that Wal-Mart, at least a $1 raise and health care benefits. In those moments, we all went wild in excitement. News reporters captured the moment and it was on CTV and CBC last night. The whole event also got the front cover for some local newspapers. Everyone was so pleased that evening, a group of us went on a celebration dinner. The whole experience was priceless. You feel so great knowing that you have made a difference in your community. Breaking the law was hard to do, but it was worth it in the end. Of course, I could never have done this by myself. I have to thank all the students who showed up to my civil disobedience meeting, my dad for helping write my speech, and everyone who helped out. So after this experience, I know that if another protest is in need, I have my back covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment